<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, October 06, 2003

Don't Forget Your Toothbrush: Was there ever an American version of this show? If there was, I completely missed it. The one I remember was on in London when I was living there in the nineties. [Ed.: Why not just be honest and admit you were hiding from the Croatians? Didn't I tell you to shut up? Why are you stalking me? You should get comments instead of bantering with your editorial alter-ego.]

It was brilliant. The winners got sent on a fabulous vacation, leaving directly from the studio (hence the need to remember to bring your toothbrush to the show). This was a bit dull, at least compared to what happened to the losers. No home version of the game for them. The losers got sent for a weekend away in some crap English town, typically a place unheard of since the miners' strike.

I hadn't thought of the program for years. But last Saturday I ended up in a brief chat about Toothbrush with some mud islanders outside of Hi-Fi (f/k/a Brownies). It brought back all the memories of sitting around Simon's Cadogan Terrace flat, drinking endless bottles of Stella and having our hearts broken by the cockney waifs we'd lured out of the pubs.