<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, July 02, 2004

When I sober up this will seem much less funny. “The world is a sad and beautiful place,” a nineteen year old Polish girl once told me. This is what I was thinking when I woke up at 12:45 this afternoon, only I put it slightly differently: “Holy Fuck!”

I crawled to the tiny ball of pin striped wool that once was my charcoal Paul Stuart suit, and rummaged through my pockets for evidence of crimes or miracles.

Leather money clip. Check.

No cash.

No credit cards or identification.

No card holder.

Cell phone. Check.

ATM receipt: 3:35 a.m. $122. 145 First Avenue.

Taxi receipt. Start 5:30 am. End 5:35 am. $6.50.

None of this makes any sense. How did I pay the cab driver if I had no money? Did I have exact change? Did I give him a $115.50 tip? Would he have given me a receipt if I didn’t pay him at all? What did I do between 3:35 and 5:35?

Not too worried about the cards. Bills are so overdue that none of them work anyway. But I suspect I had a very good time last night. It would be nice if someone would bring me up to speed about what I missed.