<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, July 22, 2004

When It's Over:

Me: So, uhm, what are we drinking to anyway?

Her: My annulment just came through. Now my marriage never really happened.

Me: That’s a good thing, right? You hate him.

Her: Oh, MT. It’s a shame that you really don’t know anything at all about women. I am furious at him for annulling our marriage, for trying to pretend like it never happened. And now, in the eyes of God, it never did.

Me: You think God approved your annulment? Came down and told some bishop that you were never married? Come on.

Her: Great. So not only did my marriage never happen, now you tell me maybe it really did and if I get married again God will hate me for that.

Me: I give up. I’m just going to sit here and drink with you, okay?

Her: I think the annulment makes me angry because it reminds me that he still exists. I hate hearing about him at parties, about his stupid baseball team just because other people we know play on it. Why can’t he have the common decency to just go away?

Me: Look, you know he can’t do that right. He is still alive, and is going to keep on keeping on. It’s solipsism or histrionics to wish that he’d vanish just because you're through with him.

Her: Yeah. I guess so. But I’m going to go with that. Solipsism is the new black.

Me: Two more Jameson’s on the rocks, please. Make hers a double.